Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Utah Trip

Last Wednesday, we received a call from Miah's mom. She was in the hospital with heart problems. We wanted so bad to come up to support her, but money was definitely a hindrance. Well, Miah is fortunate enough to work for a wonderful company, with extremely compasionate owners, and well, his boss bought both of us tickets to fly up to Utah for her. I am so thankful for their generosity and kindness!!! Once we arrived, we found out that she definitely needed to have open-heart surgery. The surgeon felt she could wait it out through the Thanksgiving weekend, so we were able to spend some quality time with her before the surgery.

Because of the short notice, none of us were prepared for Thanksgiving. We were just planning on grilling some Salmon that she had on hand, but when her home-teacher came over in the morning to assist Miah in giving a blessing, he insisted that his family bring some food over for us. We were able to enjoy a delicious traditional Thanksgiving dinner... pumpkin pie and all!!! Despite the terrible circumstances of us being there, we had SOOOOO much to be thankful for! Since she was under strict orders to take it easy on her body, I went and picked up a 1000-piece puzzle. It was pretty difficult- took us two days to complete, but it was a lot of fun!

Saturday night, we wanted to go up to Temple Square to see the temple lights. Miah called ahead and found out they did have wheelchairs that we could rent, so we could all go. There were so many people there, it was almost too hard to enjoy, but it was still fun and beautiful! We have a few pics, but they did not turn out very well. We really need a new digital camera, but that will have a wait a little while. Here are some of the pictures anyways.

Adin, Grammy, and Katrina in front of Floating manger

Grammy, Miah, and Adin

Adin and Me

Our family in front of the Joseph Smith Memorial tree.

Grammy, Katrina, and Adin

Me and Adin

We spent most of Monday at the hospital, running around doing all the pre-surgery junk they make you do... like answer the same questions 4,000 times, fill out the same paperwork for 20 different people, etc, etc! We had to be in the hospital at 6am on Tues morning. We were all up until about 12:30 that night, and then when Barbara couldn't sleep, then Miah stayed up with her until about 2:30. So, we were all pretty tired the day of the surgery. They actually started the surgery around 7:30am, and they were done around 12:30. It was a long time in the waiting room, but thankfully, the surgery went well. She is doing so well now, that the doctor said she might be able to come home today! (That is excellent, since the hospital stay for this surgery is usually at least 4-7 days!)

We had to leave on Wednesday, but were able to meet her other daughter, Rachel, at the airport. Then, I had to turn around and repack to head to Washington... which is where I am now! Adin and I are a little tired from traveling (he is quickly becoming a professional traveler!), but are SUPER excited to be here. We will be sure to update the blog with pics of Adin with his Aunts and Uncles and cousins... I am so excited for him to meet them!


  1. What a blessing to have Miah's company fly you to his Moms. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well.

    We can't wait to see you and meet Adin!!! We'll have to get together this week-end if you have time. WE sure miss you guys!!!

  2. Glad all is well and that you got to spend some time with Miah's mom. How nice of the home teacher's family to provide a dinner for you! Sounds like you had a nice time. :)

  3. oops...that wasn't you, that was me! you were still signed in to my computer! hehe.